07/08/2009

It would be vegan-friendly had I given it a bit more thought



I had promised Katy, a lovely friend of mine that I would make her something for the charity fundraising she is holding at our local park. They are planning on selling cakes to raise money. As I was making another cake for something else, I decided to use the same buttercream for the cupcakes I plan to make for the fundraising.
So the recipe is a hodgepotch. Between this one and a buttercream recipe which I will outline below. I am only using the actual cupcake recipe from the former recipe and adding chopped white chocolate to the mix. I am omitting the cream cheese center (which would make these cupcakes on their own vegan friendly), and only icing it with the buttercream recipe once the cupcakes are cool enough.






Oil, vinegar, water & vanilla extract
Oil, vinegar, water & vanilla extract
Take the above and add to the dry mix below.


Flour, bicarbonate soda, salt, cocoa powder and some finely chopped white chocolate
Flour, bicarbonate soda, salt, cocoa powder and some finely chopped white chocolate
It should really look like this when you pour the liquid mix in.
CIMG2847
CIMG2848
Fill them into muffin tins lined with cases. Take it to around 1cm from the rim and you will end up with about 15 cupcakes. Silly number of cupcakes, I know but I don't mind as that means I have three that I can use as tasters. :P
Somewhere here should have been some pictures of the cupcakes before I decorated them but I forgot to take the pictures. Damn.
BUTTERCREAM RECIPE from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 110g dark chocolate, finely chopped
  • 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
Method:
1.Prepare a double-boiler: quarter-fill a large saucepan with water and bring it to a boil.
2.Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the sugar until pale and thickened, about five minutes. You can use a balloon whisk or electric hand mixer for this.
3.Fit bowl over the boiling water in the saucepan (water should not touch bowl) and lower the heat to a brisk simmer. Cook the egg mixture, whisking constantly, for 2-3 minutes until you see it starting to thicken a bit. Whisk in the finely chopped chocolate and cook, stirring, for a further 2-3 minutes.
4.Scrape the chocolate mixture into a medium bowl and leave to cool to room temperature. It should be quite thick and sticky in consistency.
5.When cool, beat in the soft butter, a small piece (about 2 tablespoons/30g) at a time. An electric hand mixer is great here, but it is possible to beat the butter in with a spatula if it is soft enough.

So here is what they look like. Tis my first attempt at piping buttercream icing so be gentle, guys.








Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice..... :P