13/09/2009

Sometimes the wind blows a certain direction..


And I just get some mad idea that I would just randomly cook from a recipe out of the pile of ripped-out-of-old-magazines. I think I was having a bad day yesterday. Which was a follow-on from the bad day I have the day before. Tis all related to this house move and I shan't bore you with it. Suffice to say, I despair at the rate some things are being done.

So, I found this recipe called Candied Sweet Potato. I really should have figured that it was gonna be a no-goer just from the title. Note the optional extra - MARSHMALLOWS!!! I omitted the marshmallows and we had it with cous cous and the kids said that it tasted like cinnamon rolls, and that time, it wasn't a compliment.



So, this morning, I decided I would make a sweet potato loaf cake out of the leftover. I found a recipe on the 'tinternet and I assure you, it is very yummy and moreish. I adapted the recipe to take into account the added sugar and spices already present in the cinnamon rolls casserole candied sweet potato dish leftover.

SWEET POTATO LOAF CAKE

1 1/2 cups sugar  I used soft dark brown sugar 
1/2 cup vegetable oil I used sunflower oil with a little dash of light olive oil
2 eggs 
1/3 cup of water

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour I used plain flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup mashed, cooked sweet potato I used my leftover
1/2 cup chopped pecans yum yum
1/2 cup raisins I used sultanas

Method

1. Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and water.
2. Add next 5 ingredients, mixing just enough to moisten.
3. Stir in potatoes, pecans, and sultanas.
4. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf tins.
5. Bake at 175C degrees for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from tins and allow to cool completely.

       
Yesterday was Day 2 of Chichester's Local Food market. I have to say that despite valiant attempts, it was rather lacklustre in the sense that none of the stalls had that visual impact from afar. There were my usual haunts, Debbie from Veg Out from whom I bought 2kg of onion which I made onion marmalade with. The game stall man with his scrummy game pie mix. The Weald and Downlands Museum stall was there and I managed to restock on their stoneground wholemeal flour - a rather large 10kg bag of it. I was happily chattering away to the stallholder lady but I don't think she thought I was orally legible enough, despite my affected semi Sussex accent, or maybe she was just utterly amazed that anyone brown skinned with head to toe in tattoos would be making excitable proclamations about what wonder Yorkshire puddings the flour make.

A rather unattractive view of Chichester's local food market. You can hardly see the Cross for this perspective.





This gentleman was selling hollowed out oversized breadrolls filled with soup!!! I didn't have time to try some.




Cute, kitschy. Cath Kidston-y stall, selling things I don't really need but would love to have.


I did make some bread but have failed to take photos of them. Here, have some pictures of the batch I made the day before. They're whities but still very yummy.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something nice..... :P